Who We Are
The Men’s Center provides non-medical alcohol detox and drug rehab for men.
- We furnish transitional housing, meals, and job assistance for men recovering from alcoholism and drug addiction. We are an affordable and safe alternative for those who wish to re-enter society as productive members.
- Obtaining employment and paying rent are the foundation of our program. This sets us apart from other rehabilitation programs and is key to recovery.
- We also provide continuing support for recovering men and women through open Alcoholics Anonymous, Narcotics Anonymous and Cocaine Anonymous meetings.
- The Men’s Center has been in operation since 1950 and was incorporated in the state of Texas as a 501(c)(3) non-profit organization in 1958.
- The Men’s Center is conveniently located near downtown Houston on the Main Street public transportation corridor.
The National Council on Alcoholism estimates that one alcoholic or addict impacts an average of twenty other people. Since its beginnings in 1950 The Men’s Center has served over 25,000 addicted men and can be attributed with positively impacting more than 500,000 lives in the Houston area. We admit and serve 1500 men annually.
Men of all ages but some as young as 18 arrive without possessions, finances or wherewithal. We have helped these addicted men one at a time, and while each success story differs, overall they are the same. Becoming employed, developing the ability to be successful in job situations and with their fellow man, and accepting the responsibility of contributing to their own support enables these once broken men to start rebuilding their sense of self esteem.
Our Community Partnerships
The Men’s Center has earned recognition for its programs from the State of Texas, the City of Houston, and a supportive group of foundations and individuals. The Men’s Center maintains an active community partnership with many treatment organizations including:
- Mental Health and Mental Retardation Authority
- A Ministry of Main Street – Ministries Houston
- Memorial Hermann Behavioral Health Services
- The Right Step