The Men’s Center provides non-medical alcohol detox and drug rehab for men. We furnish transitional housing, meals, and job assistance for men recovering from alcoholism and drug addiction.
The Men’s Center residential program model has proven successful because:
- We provide housing that allows men to live in a safe, supportive community during their recovery.
- Residents participate in a 12-Step program, widely recognized for success in maintaining long-term sobriety.
- Residents have a sponsor to help them in their recovery.
- The Substance Abuse and Mental Health Service Administration reports that employment is key to recovery, and work is a requirement of The Men’s Center program.
- The program is affordable. Not everyone can afford treatment or has insurance. We provide needed support for those without means who are seeking sobriety.
- We do not limit the time a man may stay at The Men’s Center. We give each man the time he needs to recover.
- The Men’s Center is optimally located on Houston’s Main Street transportation corridor. Men in recovery can easily access public transit to get to work in almost any area of the city.
How It Works
The Men’s Center accepts adult men, ages 18 and over, who:
- Admit they have become powerless over alcohol and other drugs
- Admit that their lives have become unmanageable as the result of their substance abuse
- Express a sincere desire to discontinue their use of alcohol and other drugs and
- Have the capacity and willingness to obey rules.
Before admission, we require an intake assessment to ensure the applicant is eligible and appropriate to be admitted to The Men’s Center.
Depending on how recent and excessive substance abuse has been, the new resident may spend his first days in non-medical detox. Withdrawal usually takes from three to eight days. During this time, he will be monitored 24 hours per day and referred to a medical facility if necessary. During detox, we address personal hygiene and nutrition. Other recovering men visit to begin discussing the new resident’s need to make a commitment to a personal program of recovery.
The First 30 Days
- Within one week, the new resident must select a sponsor who will guide him in his personal program of recovery.
- New residents live dormitory style and abide by strictly enforced rules.
- We do not tolerate use of alcohol or other drugs. Violation of this rule will result in immediate discharge.
- During this initial period the newcomer and the staff determine whether he is committed to the concept of personal recovery.
- After 30 days, the new resident becomes eligible to move into a shared room.
- During the first 60 days residents must attend 3 in-house 12-Step meetings per week.
- After 60 days residents must attend two in-house meetings per week.
- Residents are also encouraged to attend off-site 12-Step meetings.
Learning to “live life on life’s terms” forms a major theme of personal recovery. The Men’s Center believes that residents must learn the value of becoming self-sufficient. Once chemically liberated, residents must:
- Hold employment
- Pay an affordable rent
- Live among their colleagues in harmony, order and civility
- Participate in maintaining order in the accommodations and
- Remain sober.
Who Is Eligible
- Males 18 years and older are eligible for the residential program.
- Residents must meet the criteria as outlined by The Men’s Center for alcohol and substance abuse.
- Residents in Recovery are accepted on the basis of desire for sobriety.
Who Is Not Eligible
We are a non-medical residential rehabilitation center for men only. The following are not eligible for admission:
- Anyone taking methadone
- Anyone with a history of more than three psychiatric medications
- Anyone with a dual diagnosis, unless taking medication for such and attending regular counseling
- Anyone with a conviction of a sex offense
- Anyone unemployed or not able to gain employment within five days of completion of initial chemical withdrawal
- Anyone unable or unwilling to work.
- Anyone who has relapsed may be required to take treatment before being considered for re-admission.
- Former residents applying for re-admission are subject to the Admissions Review Committee to determine eligibility.
The Men’s Center does not charge fees for our program or participation in the 12-Step Program. Residents must, however, pay rent.
First Time Residents
Rent: $56/week first four weeks
$79/week after four weeks
Rent includes :
- Initial withdrawal from alcohol and drugs
- Living space
- Three meals a day
Monday - Friday 7:00 AM – 5:30 PM
Saturday 8:00 AM – 11:30 AM
3809 Main St.
Houston, Texas 77002
Required for Check-in
- Meet Eligibility Criteria
- Possess a Photo ID: State Identification Card/Driver License
- Social Security Card (or secure within 72 hours)
- First Week’s Rent